Here’s a recipe I made up while in Perth, for some of the local fish I caught, Black Bream.
Serves 1-2 for each fish
Fishing time: 10 minutes – 10 hours depending on your luck/skill/sacrifices to the fishing gods
Preparation time: 10 minutes, Cooking time: 25 minutes
2 Black Breams from the Swan River, Perth
Let’s get cooking!
1. While your still down at the river, and have just got your catch, you need to gut it. To do this, slit from the beginning of the tail to just before the gills. Then pull out all the guts and what not. Wash out the fish in the river. Don’t worry, other fish and critters will eat the guts.
2. Set oven at 180 Celsius.
3. Once back home, mix up half a teaspoon of chilli paste, with two of olive oil. Chop some mint and add to mixture
4. Spoon mixture inside the fish where the guts were.
5. Place fish in oiled baking dish.
6. For second fish, put 2 slices of grapefruit and some basil inside the fish.
7. Place fish in baking dish.
8. Cook for 20-25 minutes.
Dish up, and get into it!
You can serve the fish with a whole host of things depending on season, meal, how the mood takes you. A rocket, walnut and grapefruit salad is a light and easy option, but the fish would also go well with roasted vegies.