Serves 4-8 (depending how hungry you all are)
Preparation time: pastry 30 minutes+ 1hr to stand, pizza 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45minutes-1hr
Here’s a bit (well actually it’s the complete recipe, bargain and half there!) of a number I’ve made up along the travels. Bred from the hills of Adelaide, and road tested in Perth, this is a recipe in progress, but still pretty tasty.
2 cups of plain flour
250g of cold butter
A pinch of salt
1 egg yolk
3 tablespoons of iced water
Half a sweet potato, thinly sliced
6 mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 capsicum, thinly sliced
2 lebanese eggplants, thinly sliced
150g mozzarella balls, sliced
Extra virgin olive oil
Small sprig of coriander
Let’s get cooking!
How to make Dough
1. Put the flour in a mixing bowl. Add the butter and cut into the flour with two knifes until you have breadcrumbs. Don’t overwork.
2. Whisk the ice water with the egg yolk. Pour it in to the flour mixture and mix with a fork, until it comes together. Press together into a ball.
3. Cover in tin foil or cling film and put it in the fridge for an hour.
How to make Pizza
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Roll out dough into a circular pizza base (or whatever shape your pizza base turns out to be) Try to get the pastry roughly 5mm thick.
2. Spread out sliced sweet potato.
3. Lay down sliced eggplant, capsicum, then onion, spreading evenly.
4. I used lamb chops, cutting the meat from the bone. Cut the lamb into small chunks and scatter over pizza.
5. Spread out mozzarella.
6. Place in oven, and cook for 1 hour.
Serve up and enjoy!